polygons and vehicles and stuff
By someone on Jan. 30th, 2012 8:40PM
I should have written a few news posts since the last one, but I didn't. Since then a few things have been added to the game.
Polygon shapes have been available for a while now. There has been a lot of confusion with there usage so I will try to clarify things in a nice list:
- There is a big difference in functionality when changing the polygon tool from interactive and non-interactive. If you're telling me the polygon tool is broken, you probably didn't uncheck interactive when attempting to draw.
- Interactive polygons are limited in their shape. Shapes can only be convex polygons. This means no inner angle of any vertex can be over 180 degrees, and no edges can overlap each other. Shapes must also be drawn in a clockwise manner and have 10 vertices max. This is done in order to not break the physics of the game.
- Non-interactive shapes have nothing to do with physics, so they have no limitations other than the number of vertices (50). Click while holding shift to end the non-interactive shape early without filling it. You can use this to draw lines.
- Use ctrl+click to remove the last vertex you placed with the polygon tool.
- You cannot change the interactive value once a polygon shape is placed. This was an easier solution than checking if your random art piece obeyed the physics rules, which it probably did not. (also, slight laziness)
- Polygons can't be scaled. There were too many things to consider in order for me to allow it. However, there's no size restriction on them... they just have to fit on stage.
That's the end of the list.
There's now a much improved color selector in the editor. When you choose a certain color, a brightness and saturation spectrum is displayed. Left to right is saturation, and up and down determine brightness. The brightest, most saturated version of that hue will be always be at the top right. You can save and delete custom colors with the plus and minus buttons. Additionally, when dragging colors on the spectrum, you can drag off of the color selector and grab colors from anything in the background.
And finally, there is the new vehicle feature. When selecting a group containing that contains at least one interactive shape, you now have the option of converting that group into a controllable vehicle. Any character you eject can control this vehicle once they've grabbed onto it. I think I will start a new list:
- When first creating a vehicle, you'll notice all of the interactive shapes inside will glow blue. These shapes will act as the handles for the vehicle. If you'd only like for one particular shape (such as a steering wheel) to act as the handle, double click into the group and disable the handle property for the other shapes.
- Leaning is set to zero by default, so be sure to raise this if you'd like the user to be able to lean left and right on the vehicle.
- Pressing up and down while operating the vehicle will operate attached joints. So for example, a wheel is placed on stage (not inside the vehicle), and then attached to the vehicle with a joint. The wheel's top speed and direction are determined by the joint's properties, not the vehicle's.
- Joints attached to a vehicle can be set so they are not controlled by the vehicle.
- Jets and arrowguns that are jointed to the vehicle can be controlled. Set spacebar, shift, and ctrl abilities in the vehicle properties.
- If you'd like to limit the rotation of a jet attached to the vehicle, it's best to set the joint limits to 0 and 0. This will allow the jet to rotate, but it will stay in the correct angle relative to the vehicle.
- You can actually attach vehicles to each other with joints, and they will be controlled by each other. I haven't done anything too crazy with this, but I imagine you can do some very cool stuff. I might also make it so any joint connected to a vehicle indirectly (a joint connected to a shape that is joined to a vehicle elsewhere) could be controlled by the vehicle. With this you could make a whole chain of joints flex or retract upon keypresses. That would have to be cool... I think.
OK! I think that's the end of it. This may be my longest post. Vehicles have been cool, but I definitely think I have to add some better sounds in there. Perhaps adding a sound property to running joints, and possibly selectable impact sounds for shapes. In any case, I'm seeing a lot of very cool stuff being made with the new tools. On Saturday, the top 50 for the day were all pretty great. I don't know if I've ever seen that before. Thanks so much to everyone participating. A higher quality community will definitely inspire others and lead to even better submissions.
I'll probably make another post soon with a bunch of other crap I forgot.
By HappyFaller23 on Feb. 7th, 2012 6:18PM
Aewsoime blood just noticed, at first i was like WTF then i relized it was epic
By JAKEG22 on Feb. 7th, 2012 6:21PM
please change the blood back to what it was, It really looks terrible. The game doesn't seem the same :-(
By ACHIEVERjunior on Feb. 7th, 2012 6:21PM
ALL HAIL JIM
ALL HAIL JIM
ALL HAIL JIM
By MetallicDoom15 on Feb. 7th, 2012 6:32PM
you can change the blood back as it was, just go to the options. + there are more blood affects then just this one.
By Jim Bonacci on Feb. 7th, 2012 6:35PM
how can it look terrible? the old blood now looks like cereal in comparison. feel free to switch it back
By jib1324 on Feb. 7th, 2012 6:39PM
i love the game jim iloveurhusband is easily the best at it though lol i just ask for a new character like once a month. you have the slots ready in the character selection menu why not fill them up
By MetallicDoom15 on Feb. 7th, 2012 6:40PM
thanks for the new blood, looks sweet.
By Jim Bonacci on Feb. 7th, 2012 6:42PM
thanks. also added in the ability to change your keys.
By fataldarkness on Feb. 7th, 2012 6:56PM
Vehicles are great and all but... Problem is that when I add the joints and test the lever the joints stay anchored as if they connected to the background instead of the body, is this because i have the body set as a handle?
By kEwLiO on Feb. 7th, 2012 6:57PM
Jim, new blood is awesome and the ability to change controls is more awesome. Thank you for your hard work. :D
By MYMOM234 on Feb. 7th, 2012 6:58PM
WHOA! Jim is here!
By MetallicDoom15 on Feb. 7th, 2012 6:58PM
ya i saw that too,and i saw that you added in colored backgrounds. i have been wanting that for so long thanks.
By theshywillraindeath on Feb. 7th, 2012 6:59PM
YEEEESSSSSS!!!!! JIM FINALLY USED MY IDEA!!!!! I'VE MESSAGED HIM LIKE... well, once ABOUT THAT!!!!!! WOOOOOOO!!!!
By MoneyGraber on Feb. 7th, 2012 7:01PM
Fix the blood, put it back to the old affect, every time there is a lot of blood it lags like crap and the old one looks better.
By Ezophlee on Feb. 7th, 2012 7:06PM
Sorry I spammed, I didn't notice I wasnt on the 10th page and I thought my comment was going through...hehe....>:(
By lildude227 on Feb. 7th, 2012 7:16PM
you do know theres multiple blood settings in the options and that you can change it back to the original right? (but i personally like blood option 2)
By MYMOM234 on Feb. 7th, 2012 7:18PM
How do you change stuff? Y'know, cuz im too lazy to figure things out myself.
Wait, figured it out. Neva mind.
Its OK ezophlee.
Thanks for the great features JIM!
Any word on Character 9?
By tommygunn24 on Feb. 7th, 2012 7:23PM
THE NEW BLOOD EFFECT... SUCKSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS
GO back to what you had
By lildude227 on Feb. 7th, 2012 7:29PM
hey heres an idea, why dont you change it in the OPTIONS in the MENU where there's BLOOD SETTINGS
By MetallicDoom15 on Feb. 7th, 2012 7:30PM
i saw there are also some level rules when you go and save your level, awesome that was much needed.
By lildude227 on Feb. 7th, 2012 7:31PM
hey heres an idea, why dont you change it in the OPTIONS in the MENU where there's BLOOD SETTINGS
By Ezophlee on Feb. 7th, 2012 7:34PM
Jim...why don't you give us a download of the .fla
so people that are pros at flash can mess around with it.
By happywheelsmaster65 on Feb. 7th, 2012 7:36PM
no spaming lardass anyways i like the new blood my fav seting is 3 thanks Jim
By Collectivism on Feb. 7th, 2012 7:38PM
The new update for blood is real shit. I liked the old blood better.
By The Painkiller on Feb. 7th, 2012 7:39PM
Oh, uh, hey Jim. Hey Jason.
In case you saw my last three replays, I acted somewhat like a dick to the new blood effects. I didn't know you could change it.
Oh well, you probably don't care anyway. Thankfully, too! If anybody has seen at least ten of my replays, you'll learn that I'm kind of fucked up. Not like Heath Ledger Joker, though. A lot less softer.
Considering that post that says that a certain guy is the best at Happy Wheels (sorry, I forgot your name), I think we should a have a competition without anybody saying " FUCK U NOOB!"
QUICK! Somebody make a challenging level.
Let's say, you get to pick a type of level, and I'll pick mine, and MYMOM234 can pick one if he wants! XD
The Panterac Attack Painkiller
By lildude227 on Feb. 7th, 2012 7:40PM
my bad i posted twice, sorry no spam intended!
By MYMOM234 on Feb. 7th, 2012 7:48PM
@painkiller Wut am i picking... I dont understand.
Peoples of happy wheels, you can just call me mymom. No need to add the "234" at the end.
By happywheelsmaster65 on Feb. 7th, 2012 7:56PM
@ lildude227 your forgiven i thot you were spaming
By epicpoptartfail on Feb. 7th, 2012 8:01PM
Lol really the blood sortav censors the "happening" of the dislocation of the body part but it looks 3-D at least, sortav...
By MYMOM234 on Feb. 7th, 2012 8:02PM
NEW WEAPON! Thanks Jim/Jason/Caroline!
By JOEYAWSOM on Feb. 7th, 2012 8:13PM
hey bud idk how to contact u i just wanted to let u kno nobody likes that new blood plz get rid of it thx
By Legojake94 on Feb. 7th, 2012 8:19PM
dude what happened to happy wheels' blood? its fat ugly and wierd, and it slows down my system =o
plz fix back
By 20 dolla rake on Feb. 7th, 2012 8:29PM
Flaming, also known as bashing, is hostile and insulting interaction between Internet users.
Know a word before you use it you ignorant fucking kikes.
By happywheelsmaster65 on Feb. 7th, 2012 8:33PM
@ Legojake94 CHANGE IT!!! IF U NO LIKE IT DUMBASS READ THE COMMENTS YOU MIGHT SEE HOW TO CHANGE IT FUCKING RETARD!!! not to be mean but my god cant ppl read
By EtzioActive on Feb. 7th, 2012 9:02PM
~Background color change ability
~New Blood effect
~Everything else I May have forgotten....
Well, There ya go!
By Awesome3076 on Feb. 7th, 2012 9:11PM
Jim the new blood in the game does not suit the game.(my opinion)
i think u should get the old blood back.
By joe421 on Feb. 7th, 2012 9:11PM
jim rocks !!! [ mesige me if you agree]
By Kaoe The Khajiit on Feb. 7th, 2012 9:27PM
JIM love the new effects that was a brilliant idea and i have to agree with Ezophlee.
By Extreme Machines on Feb. 7th, 2012 9:48PM
Great Level Rules!
I hope they are followed.
By theshywillraindeath on Feb. 7th, 2012 10:00PM
Did you guys read the Level Rules? (Beside the above poster) It told me to read them just now when I tryed to upload my level.
By Icecube3343 on Feb. 7th, 2012 10:09PM
Why does everyone seem mad, when there is an option to change it back? Seriously!
By colonel Ford on Feb. 7th, 2012 10:11PM
also, you can customize the controls for the way you play. The new blood is great and im lucky my internet and computer are fast.
By XxdarkninjaX73 on Feb. 7th, 2012 10:12PM
jim i was wondering are you gonna make more charecters? if you are i have an idea mabye you should make a charecter that is a docter pushing a half dead guy
By jpatt41234 on Feb. 7th, 2012 10:27PM
Hey jim umm i have beeen lagging like crazy and i have no idea what the problem is....ive tried it on all my computers.Its like every time there is blood on the screen it lags.Ive tried downlading the latest flash adobe thing and noyhing has happned plz help!!!!
By Roflcopterkicker on Feb. 7th, 2012 10:36PM
I never get it to work when I place a joint for a vehicle, it just stays on the background. I set the motor to 20 torque, 20 speed. Anything I'm doing wrong?
By EtzioActive on Feb. 7th, 2012 10:36PM
Go to options, and:
1. Turn Maximum Particles to 0
2. Set the blood type option to 1
Hope I helped.
By killn on Feb. 7th, 2012 11:29PM
you should make like bonus charecter and put in it like user created ones and then the regulars made by you :)
By Luigi Is pro on Feb. 7th, 2012 11:40PM
It doesn't look like we need new characters right now. From the previous updates we've been having they've been the best updates I've seen by far. It truly amazes me how easy it is to work on levels now, and the background update was all I really needed but this is truly amazing. I love the new blood animation since I got a gaming comp it can handle blood particle 4. Well thanks for this yet another fantastic update.
By ToO_kOo on Feb. 7th, 2012 11:51PM
9th comment xD, jk... Jim, why did you take away the the ability to edit other people's editable levels.. I totally agree with the 24hr after uploading but the no importable, not cool
......REPOST IF YOU AGREE
By paintboy131 on Feb. 8th, 2012 12:28AM
jim i really think the old blood effect was better than the new one