polygons and vehicles and stuff
By someone on Jan. 30th, 2012 8:40PM
I should have written a few news posts since the last one, but I didn't. Since then a few things have been added to the game.
Polygon shapes have been available for a while now. There has been a lot of confusion with there usage so I will try to clarify things in a nice list:
- There is a big difference in functionality when changing the polygon tool from interactive and non-interactive. If you're telling me the polygon tool is broken, you probably didn't uncheck interactive when attempting to draw.
- Interactive polygons are limited in their shape. Shapes can only be convex polygons. This means no inner angle of any vertex can be over 180 degrees, and no edges can overlap each other. Shapes must also be drawn in a clockwise manner and have 10 vertices max. This is done in order to not break the physics of the game.
- Non-interactive shapes have nothing to do with physics, so they have no limitations other than the number of vertices (50). Click while holding shift to end the non-interactive shape early without filling it. You can use this to draw lines.
- Use ctrl+click to remove the last vertex you placed with the polygon tool.
- You cannot change the interactive value once a polygon shape is placed. This was an easier solution than checking if your random art piece obeyed the physics rules, which it probably did not. (also, slight laziness)
- Polygons can't be scaled. There were too many things to consider in order for me to allow it. However, there's no size restriction on them... they just have to fit on stage.
That's the end of the list.
There's now a much improved color selector in the editor. When you choose a certain color, a brightness and saturation spectrum is displayed. Left to right is saturation, and up and down determine brightness. The brightest, most saturated version of that hue will be always be at the top right. You can save and delete custom colors with the plus and minus buttons. Additionally, when dragging colors on the spectrum, you can drag off of the color selector and grab colors from anything in the background.
And finally, there is the new vehicle feature. When selecting a group containing that contains at least one interactive shape, you now have the option of converting that group into a controllable vehicle. Any character you eject can control this vehicle once they've grabbed onto it. I think I will start a new list:
- When first creating a vehicle, you'll notice all of the interactive shapes inside will glow blue. These shapes will act as the handles for the vehicle. If you'd only like for one particular shape (such as a steering wheel) to act as the handle, double click into the group and disable the handle property for the other shapes.
- Leaning is set to zero by default, so be sure to raise this if you'd like the user to be able to lean left and right on the vehicle.
- Pressing up and down while operating the vehicle will operate attached joints. So for example, a wheel is placed on stage (not inside the vehicle), and then attached to the vehicle with a joint. The wheel's top speed and direction are determined by the joint's properties, not the vehicle's.
- Joints attached to a vehicle can be set so they are not controlled by the vehicle.
- Jets and arrowguns that are jointed to the vehicle can be controlled. Set spacebar, shift, and ctrl abilities in the vehicle properties.
- If you'd like to limit the rotation of a jet attached to the vehicle, it's best to set the joint limits to 0 and 0. This will allow the jet to rotate, but it will stay in the correct angle relative to the vehicle.
- You can actually attach vehicles to each other with joints, and they will be controlled by each other. I haven't done anything too crazy with this, but I imagine you can do some very cool stuff. I might also make it so any joint connected to a vehicle indirectly (a joint connected to a shape that is joined to a vehicle elsewhere) could be controlled by the vehicle. With this you could make a whole chain of joints flex or retract upon keypresses. That would have to be cool... I think.
OK! I think that's the end of it. This may be my longest post. Vehicles have been cool, but I definitely think I have to add some better sounds in there. Perhaps adding a sound property to running joints, and possibly selectable impact sounds for shapes. In any case, I'm seeing a lot of very cool stuff being made with the new tools. On Saturday, the top 50 for the day were all pretty great. I don't know if I've ever seen that before. Thanks so much to everyone participating. A higher quality community will definitely inspire others and lead to even better submissions.
I'll probably make another post soon with a bunch of other crap I forgot.
By THE RETURN OF CARL99 on Feb. 1st, 2012 09:49AM
And how do you remember the exact time and day I got banned? (And just for the record, he did get it.)
By Nils on Feb. 1st, 2012 10:24AM
Add zombies! :D
By D J A Y on Feb. 1st, 2012 11:45AM
im back hey i ve been playing since march 2011 but joined about october i think...anyway any more fun topics to discuss
By B O B on Feb. 1st, 2012 12:22PM
@ D J A Y
Oh absolutely (quote from SpongeBob SquarePants).
By D J A Y on Feb. 1st, 2012 1:48PM
WHY is NOBODY commenting!!!!!!!
By D J A Y on Feb. 1st, 2012 2:16PM
rainbow goop pooper troopers assemble...
By D J A Y on Feb. 1st, 2012 2:21PM
oh shit i dropped my sword...i aint bending over to pick it up yo!!
By The101Gunnerz on Feb. 1st, 2012 2:53PM
Aw great, just had a try at doing this for half an hour and it DIDNT WORK! HOW THE HELL DO YOU DO THIS?!
By ACHIEVERjunior on Feb. 1st, 2012 3:45PM
Do what noob?*picks up sword*
By MYMOM234 on Feb. 1st, 2012 3:51PM
Pooper troopers, assemble!
I didnt join for a while. I rmember getting on the forums, those were the good old days.
But i have been playing for quite a while before i joined.
I am happy to see that less noobs are on this page, and more users who are part of the community. Keep it up, and this might actualy start a worthwhile conversation.
Cant wait to fiish ma new level, it will be AWESOME!!!!!
By warlord9011 on Feb. 1st, 2012 4:19PM
happy wheels suck make it better bu have new characters and new items and new games jim you cunt i cant believe you thought of making one game you suck cock so bad
By ACHIEVERjunior on Feb. 1st, 2012 5:15PM
And what epic games have you made in your life little boy? that's what I thought,get the fuck out
By mrblah1252 on Feb. 1st, 2012 6:10PM
with the new vehicle feature you should be able to
add pre-made vehicles
By Camelby on Feb. 1st, 2012 6:11PM
I want a Mr.T Chartacter
By theshywillraindeath on Feb. 1st, 2012 6:22PM
Well too bad Mr. T ya ain't gettin' nun. Not anytime soon anyway.
By THE RETURN OF CARL99 on Feb. 1st, 2012 6:25PM
Don't you mean, TOO BAD FOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
By MYMOM234 on Feb. 1st, 2012 6:34PM
As soon as i say this place is getting slightly better, some dick starts hatin on happy wheels. Irony of it is that he will NEVER, i say i say, NEVER, come back to see who replied to him.
No one even asked about ma new level ive been talkin about. I dont think anyone even noticed.
By Tr u th on Feb. 1st, 2012 6:36PM
Hey guys!!! I love your game jim!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11 :)
By benxrules on Feb. 1st, 2012 6:40PM
I'll give your level a try Mom, if that is your real name.
By boredinschool on Feb. 1st, 2012 6:53PM
Thank you for the new vehicle option Jim!!! I can now create my M1A1 Abrams Tank level that I've been sitting on for a while.
P.S. Jim are you still planning on adding fire?
By MYMOM234 on Feb. 1st, 2012 7:11PM
Well, that just shows you havent been paying attention. Ive been posting about how ive been WORKING on a new level.
But you can still play my old levels. My new level will be much better.
Jim never planned on making fire, its too advanced for right now.
By benxrules on Feb. 1st, 2012 7:18PM
@MYMOM234 I'll be looking forward to the new level. It also happens that I am working on a new level aswell.
By MYMOM234 on Feb. 1st, 2012 8:08PM
What is your level about?
Im going to release a teaser pic for it soon, so youll see a part of it. Its called "Secret Facility".
More info on it later
By theshywillraindeath on Feb. 1st, 2012 8:35PM
Really?! I'm making a level too! I'll post a link to it when i'm done. I'm acctually working on three levels, due to the fact that the level I worked on for like four days is really hard to make, so I slacked off and started on another level, but slacked even more and made that dumb ass jenga level that I uploaded today.
By shouweling on Feb. 1st, 2012 8:56PM
you have to make new characters
By moomoy on Feb. 1st, 2012 9:27PM
Hey, Jim. I got an idea. Perhaps you could put back importable mode on, and add a "Originally made by *instert name here*". I think that should help.
By laytorX on Feb. 1st, 2012 9:49PM
Ya those zombies would be nice...
By Jellyfi on Feb. 1st, 2012 10:56PM
Great call on vehicles. Im trying to make a flying cookie with knies XD can't figure out how to "attach" jets to my vehicles.
By Psycopath48 on Feb. 1st, 2012 11:22PM
[url]http://happywheels.wikia.com/wiki/Psycopath48[/url] who the fuck wrote this?
By demon_666 on Feb. 2nd, 2012 12:11AM
jim, thanks for giving us the option to create our own vehicles that way we wont piss u off with the comments, only jk :)
By 20 dolla rake on Feb. 2nd, 2012 12:35AM
[quote]By Safety on Feb. 1st, 2012 8:10am
Hey! I'm classic, sure my profile may say April 2011, but I've been here since 09', cause, you see, this one time, I got-- Eh, nevermind. [/quote]
By D J A Y on Feb. 2nd, 2012 06:34AM
...look!its me again!...green! rainbow goop! Pooper trooper!...away!...hey is headache puppy like an icon on totaljerkface!
By MYMOM234 on Feb. 2nd, 2012 07:54AM
Pink pooper trooper, ACTIVATE!
Thats probly from the mass vandalism that happened.
By GayLord123 on Feb. 2nd, 2012 08:58AM
When Do The Import come Back??? PLeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeease!!
By B O B on Feb. 2nd, 2012 09:11AM
@ MYMOM234 Your trust?!
By Psycopath48 on Feb. 2nd, 2012 09:42AM
@MYMOM234 what mass vandalism?
By ACHIEVERjunior on Feb. 2nd, 2012 10:13AM
By theshywillraindeath on Feb. 2nd, 2012 10:43AM
@ Psycopath48 On the HW wiki one day when Trotterski (and possibly others) blanked all of the pages and put stuff like "things that stab your ass." and nothing else. They also added a couple stupid pages like "Peins" and your page. They have since been fixed and Penis was deleted.
By D J A Y on Feb. 2nd, 2012 11:30AM
...wow these guys sound like really tough motherf-Trollers!
Wait whats on the wiki!...should i join?...can i bring pie!...
Are there games there?
Can i dominate the world from there?
Can i dominate the world with cute chihuahuas?
By theshywillraindeath on Feb. 2nd, 2012 11:42AM
stuff about HW and Jim and Jason... only if you want to contribute to the wiki... maybe a picture
no, but you can play with them
By 20 dolla rake on Feb. 2nd, 2012 11:50AM
[quote]By theshywillraindeath on Feb. 2nd, 2012 10:43am
@ Psycopath48 On the HW wiki one day when Trotterski (and possibly others) blanked all of the pages and put stuff like "things that stab your ass." and nothing else. They also added a couple stupid pages like "Peins" and your page. They have since been fixed and Penis was deleted.[/quote]
[url=http://pastebin.com/MPi4znRB]not completely true[/url]
By theshywillraindeath on Feb. 2nd, 2012 12:25PM
200th COMMENT! And 20 dolla rake, I was just guessing from what I saw at the wiki the day it happened.