polygons and vehicles and stuff
By someone on Jan. 30th, 2012 8:40PM
I should have written a few news posts since the last one, but I didn't. Since then a few things have been added to the game.
Polygon shapes have been available for a while now. There has been a lot of confusion with there usage so I will try to clarify things in a nice list:
- There is a big difference in functionality when changing the polygon tool from interactive and non-interactive. If you're telling me the polygon tool is broken, you probably didn't uncheck interactive when attempting to draw.
- Interactive polygons are limited in their shape. Shapes can only be convex polygons. This means no inner angle of any vertex can be over 180 degrees, and no edges can overlap each other. Shapes must also be drawn in a clockwise manner and have 10 vertices max. This is done in order to not break the physics of the game.
- Non-interactive shapes have nothing to do with physics, so they have no limitations other than the number of vertices (50). Click while holding shift to end the non-interactive shape early without filling it. You can use this to draw lines.
- Use ctrl+click to remove the last vertex you placed with the polygon tool.
- You cannot change the interactive value once a polygon shape is placed. This was an easier solution than checking if your random art piece obeyed the physics rules, which it probably did not. (also, slight laziness)
- Polygons can't be scaled. There were too many things to consider in order for me to allow it. However, there's no size restriction on them... they just have to fit on stage.
That's the end of the list.
There's now a much improved color selector in the editor. When you choose a certain color, a brightness and saturation spectrum is displayed. Left to right is saturation, and up and down determine brightness. The brightest, most saturated version of that hue will be always be at the top right. You can save and delete custom colors with the plus and minus buttons. Additionally, when dragging colors on the spectrum, you can drag off of the color selector and grab colors from anything in the background.
And finally, there is the new vehicle feature. When selecting a group containing that contains at least one interactive shape, you now have the option of converting that group into a controllable vehicle. Any character you eject can control this vehicle once they've grabbed onto it. I think I will start a new list:
- When first creating a vehicle, you'll notice all of the interactive shapes inside will glow blue. These shapes will act as the handles for the vehicle. If you'd only like for one particular shape (such as a steering wheel) to act as the handle, double click into the group and disable the handle property for the other shapes.
- Leaning is set to zero by default, so be sure to raise this if you'd like the user to be able to lean left and right on the vehicle.
- Pressing up and down while operating the vehicle will operate attached joints. So for example, a wheel is placed on stage (not inside the vehicle), and then attached to the vehicle with a joint. The wheel's top speed and direction are determined by the joint's properties, not the vehicle's.
- Joints attached to a vehicle can be set so they are not controlled by the vehicle.
- Jets and arrowguns that are jointed to the vehicle can be controlled. Set spacebar, shift, and ctrl abilities in the vehicle properties.
- If you'd like to limit the rotation of a jet attached to the vehicle, it's best to set the joint limits to 0 and 0. This will allow the jet to rotate, but it will stay in the correct angle relative to the vehicle.
- You can actually attach vehicles to each other with joints, and they will be controlled by each other. I haven't done anything too crazy with this, but I imagine you can do some very cool stuff. I might also make it so any joint connected to a vehicle indirectly (a joint connected to a shape that is joined to a vehicle elsewhere) could be controlled by the vehicle. With this you could make a whole chain of joints flex or retract upon keypresses. That would have to be cool... I think.
OK! I think that's the end of it. This may be my longest post. Vehicles have been cool, but I definitely think I have to add some better sounds in there. Perhaps adding a sound property to running joints, and possibly selectable impact sounds for shapes. In any case, I'm seeing a lot of very cool stuff being made with the new tools. On Saturday, the top 50 for the day were all pretty great. I don't know if I've ever seen that before. Thanks so much to everyone participating. A higher quality community will definitely inspire others and lead to even better submissions.
I'll probably make another post soon with a bunch of other crap I forgot.
By benxrules on Feb. 2nd, 2012 1:20PM
Well the level I'm been working on is about a mailman. There currently is an npc of him I have made, and his mail truck vehicle that you can drive.
By blackberryboy on Feb. 2nd, 2012 1:25PM
I Always have problems by making a vechile to ride forward and backwards
By D J A Y on Feb. 2nd, 2012 1:35PM
...hi jim can you make new characters(refering to achiever)
By ACHIEVERjunior on Feb. 2nd, 2012 1:50PM
Hi djay,I will when I have the time,I'm thinking about making a character with me and jason,not sure what we will drive/ride tho.
By D J A Y on Feb. 2nd, 2012 1:54PM
...i know "jim" you guys can ride "a bicycle made for two"
hey "jim" why dont you"incorporate" sound effects and music into your game!
By ACHIEVERjunior on Feb. 2nd, 2012 2:23PM
Because today's music is too mainstream,and I'm thinking of making us ride a hover bike.
By silenthill66 on Feb. 2nd, 2012 2:36PM
[b][/b][i][/i][u][/u] you should be able to add music videos in the backround of the game, doing happy green hills but the backroung bieng the music video to moves like jagger...
By ACHIEVERjunior on Feb. 2nd, 2012 2:44PM
I'm sorry,I don't take ideas from n00bs
By D J A Y on Feb. 2nd, 2012 3:06PM
...what do you mean by...mainstream?
By ACHIEVERjunior on Feb. 2nd, 2012 3:14PM
I would tell you,but that's to mainstream
By MYMOM234 on Feb. 2nd, 2012 3:46PM
Yes, you need ma trust. And everone elses trust for that matter
Yes, trotter vandalized the enire wiki, but it has since been fixed.
Get an origanal idea, bub. We all know you are jason an im jim
There is a very messed-up glitch, which makes my message box say 238 unread mesages. Please fix/help/callghostbusters/hireadura
@...Ive run out of people to reply to. Oh well. I will now commence to take a screenshot of my new level.
By ACHIEVERjunior on Feb. 2nd, 2012 4:42PM
@Jim Oh that's just an error with the upcoming text options,I'll try to fix that. I'm almost finished on the background color option,should be ready by Tuesday.
By murphyman on Feb. 2nd, 2012 4:58PM
I've been playing with few hidden bases in <a href="http://www.roblox.com/User.aspx?ID=23272201&userid=23272201&rbx_source=ambassador&rbx_medium=Direct&rbx_campaign=ambpro">roblox</a>
By HappyFaller23 on Feb. 2nd, 2012 5:18PM
Woah A bottle of water...
By MYMOM234 on Feb. 2nd, 2012 5:40PM
By kyleman665 on Feb. 2nd, 2012 6:00PM
By Luigi Is pro on Feb. 2nd, 2012 7:16PM
Waste of a scroll. Anyways, working on my Prince Of Persia level, looking good so far, it's gonna be a shit load of detailing before it's finished.
By MetallicDoom15 on Feb. 2nd, 2012 7:52PM
im working on a new level too, its called toilet riding, i haven't worked on a level in a few months so it might not be detailed at all really, but it will be fun,which some detailed levels in my opinion lack a bit of, even though they are very well detailed some aren't challenging(which i like a bit more than just detailed and seem to be missing the challenging aspect.) Anyway so ya just letting people now that im making a new level. im sure your level luigi is pro, is going to be great, don't let what i typed put you down, it wasn't intentional at all. smiley face......:)
By MYMOM234 on Feb. 2nd, 2012 8:50PM
Glad too see that everyone is working on a new level, i cant wait to play all of them.
My new level is where you infiltrate cuck-e-cheese. It serves as an obstacle course.
By MetallicDoom15 on Feb. 2nd, 2012 9:14PM
ya who doesnt want to infiltrate chuck-e-cheeses
By gman200107 on Feb. 2nd, 2012 9:17PM
I wonder what v.159 is gonna be :I
By MetallicDoom15 on Feb. 2nd, 2012 9:29PM
i dont know, i hope its the new character voices.
By Skyrim545 on Feb. 2nd, 2012 9:41PM
Um u were gunna make zombies and new characters
By Psycopath48 on Feb. 2nd, 2012 9:53PM
@skywhore545 IVE HAD IT WITH THESE MUTHUFUCKING TROLLS ON THIS MUTHAFUCKING THREAD.
By LOLZBALL on Feb. 2nd, 2012 10:25PM
hi like your stuff
By Luigi Is pro on Feb. 3rd, 2012 12:18AM
I'd rather not have the idea of zombies and new characters put in the game yet. I prefer having the tools for advanced happy wheel players that'll actually help us build better levels rather than using something that's premade. It just builds more creativity and originality. Also @metallicdoom, glad your back to making HW levels im looking forward to playing your level.
By Jude12 on Feb. 3rd, 2012 01:13AM
By D J A Y on Feb. 3rd, 2012 07:13AM
Wait if mymom234 is jim
and achiever is jason
that that must make me...head ache puppy!...you thought i was gonna say caroline didnt you!
Or maybe im mr.patatoe head since jim likes patatoes?
By MYMOM234 on Feb. 3rd, 2012 07:36AM
You have explained something that is so unbelievably true.
How do i post pics from my computer/hard drive?
I want to show you guys my teaser. but i cant. Well, just go look in my HW wiki blogs if you wanna see it.
By Supardude on Feb. 3rd, 2012 08:11AM
Hey Jim im wondering when will u add the ability to import our own music into the game for our levels because i have some prototypes im willing to use music in
By D J A Y on Feb. 3rd, 2012 08:28AM
Wait everyone wants music after i mentioned it!...or am i wrong...
By Safety on Feb. 3rd, 2012 09:12AM
@20 Dolla Rake, No, I'm telling the truth, PhysX can basically, and not just him, other mods too, can change people's names and occupations, Interests, and pretty much anything. I remember me joining in 09'. Don't start a war, I know how this works. :|
By Michll on Feb. 3rd, 2012 09:46AM
I have an idea...Jim can do something like this, he blocks inportable levels from publishing!I inport levels only to change it things and see what happens...
By 20 dolla rake on Feb. 3rd, 2012 10:04AM
I've personally asked udie to fuck with my information on my old account. Also mods can change anyone's email. That's sorta how they "ban" people. Not trying to start a flame war. Just saying.
By lol 1234 on Feb. 3rd, 2012 10:37AM
Wow good job on the work, and by the way hi
By CHANCETON on Feb. 3rd, 2012 11:10AM
HOW ABOUT ADDING A FOUR WEELER guy that wears a tank top as a new charecter
By ACHIEVERjunior on Feb. 3rd, 2012 11:24AM
How about YOU make a new character you faggot
By Sep3530 on Feb. 3rd, 2012 11:55AM
masters of happy wheels how to make a man tied to a jet? please help me!!
By 20 dolla rake on Feb. 3rd, 2012 12:04PM
Use a pin joint to attach the joint to the NPC.
By D J A Y on Feb. 3rd, 2012 12:14PM
By Sep3530 on Feb. 3rd, 2012 1:04PM
By D J A Y on Feb. 3rd, 2012 1:07PM
By pain king on Feb. 3rd, 2012 1:25PM
Jim please can you tell evrey fucking person in the world to stop coping evrey ones stupid level I mean I typed in obsticle course and evrey single one I pressed was the same level!!!!!!!!!! :-(
By D J A Y on Feb. 3rd, 2012 1:42PM
yeah no shit dude!!!!!!!!!
By Colonel Derp on Feb. 3rd, 2012 2:31PM
Make a proper fuckin' replay system and i'll thank you for the second time.
I mean, what in the HELL does "Skill / Pain/ Shit/" mean? Make people being able to comment your work and rate it instead. And before you do all that, make the site navigate-able for God's sake. You've made a shitton of money off Happy Wheels, and you only let other sites use the demo. The LEAST you could do is adapt this site to it or make an entirely new one.
Oh, and OPEN YOUR EARS to the fan base a little more. They've got great ideas (Like stuff that saw you in half). I know that it's overpopulated by little American boys and girls but still, some of them got some good ideas.
By 20 dolla rake on Feb. 3rd, 2012 3:03PM
There's nothing wrong with the website you kike.