polygons and vehicles and stuff
By someone on Jan. 30th, 2012 8:40PM
I should have written a few news posts since the last one, but I didn't. Since then a few things have been added to the game.
Polygon shapes have been available for a while now. There has been a lot of confusion with there usage so I will try to clarify things in a nice list:
- There is a big difference in functionality when changing the polygon tool from interactive and non-interactive. If you're telling me the polygon tool is broken, you probably didn't uncheck interactive when attempting to draw.
- Interactive polygons are limited in their shape. Shapes can only be convex polygons. This means no inner angle of any vertex can be over 180 degrees, and no edges can overlap each other. Shapes must also be drawn in a clockwise manner and have 10 vertices max. This is done in order to not break the physics of the game.
- Non-interactive shapes have nothing to do with physics, so they have no limitations other than the number of vertices (50). Click while holding shift to end the non-interactive shape early without filling it. You can use this to draw lines.
- Use ctrl+click to remove the last vertex you placed with the polygon tool.
- You cannot change the interactive value once a polygon shape is placed. This was an easier solution than checking if your random art piece obeyed the physics rules, which it probably did not. (also, slight laziness)
- Polygons can't be scaled. There were too many things to consider in order for me to allow it. However, there's no size restriction on them... they just have to fit on stage.
That's the end of the list.
There's now a much improved color selector in the editor. When you choose a certain color, a brightness and saturation spectrum is displayed. Left to right is saturation, and up and down determine brightness. The brightest, most saturated version of that hue will be always be at the top right. You can save and delete custom colors with the plus and minus buttons. Additionally, when dragging colors on the spectrum, you can drag off of the color selector and grab colors from anything in the background.
And finally, there is the new vehicle feature. When selecting a group containing that contains at least one interactive shape, you now have the option of converting that group into a controllable vehicle. Any character you eject can control this vehicle once they've grabbed onto it. I think I will start a new list:
- When first creating a vehicle, you'll notice all of the interactive shapes inside will glow blue. These shapes will act as the handles for the vehicle. If you'd only like for one particular shape (such as a steering wheel) to act as the handle, double click into the group and disable the handle property for the other shapes.
- Leaning is set to zero by default, so be sure to raise this if you'd like the user to be able to lean left and right on the vehicle.
- Pressing up and down while operating the vehicle will operate attached joints. So for example, a wheel is placed on stage (not inside the vehicle), and then attached to the vehicle with a joint. The wheel's top speed and direction are determined by the joint's properties, not the vehicle's.
- Joints attached to a vehicle can be set so they are not controlled by the vehicle.
- Jets and arrowguns that are jointed to the vehicle can be controlled. Set spacebar, shift, and ctrl abilities in the vehicle properties.
- If you'd like to limit the rotation of a jet attached to the vehicle, it's best to set the joint limits to 0 and 0. This will allow the jet to rotate, but it will stay in the correct angle relative to the vehicle.
- You can actually attach vehicles to each other with joints, and they will be controlled by each other. I haven't done anything too crazy with this, but I imagine you can do some very cool stuff. I might also make it so any joint connected to a vehicle indirectly (a joint connected to a shape that is joined to a vehicle elsewhere) could be controlled by the vehicle. With this you could make a whole chain of joints flex or retract upon keypresses. That would have to be cool... I think.
OK! I think that's the end of it. This may be my longest post. Vehicles have been cool, but I definitely think I have to add some better sounds in there. Perhaps adding a sound property to running joints, and possibly selectable impact sounds for shapes. In any case, I'm seeing a lot of very cool stuff being made with the new tools. On Saturday, the top 50 for the day were all pretty great. I don't know if I've ever seen that before. Thanks so much to everyone participating. A higher quality community will definitely inspire others and lead to even better submissions.
I'll probably make another post soon with a bunch of other crap I forgot.
By HappyFaller23 on Feb. 3rd, 2012 3:06PM
Woah A slice of Pizza with potatoes....
By happywheelsmaster65 on Feb. 3rd, 2012 3:30PM
why the new frickin levels crappy and thank god Jim disabled inporting cuz noobs who make crappy levels cant spam it like the bomb nuke level noobs copy it like its thares so to all retards who are jeluse go make your own levels lazy basterds
By murphyman on Feb. 3rd, 2012 3:34PM
I've been innovating a bunch of concerts on <a href="http://www.roblox.com/User.aspx?ID=23272201&userid=23272201&rbx_source=ambassador&rbx_medium=Direct&rbx_campaign=ambpro">ROBLOX</a>
By MYMOM234 on Feb. 3rd, 2012 4:14PM
I am now a HW wiki admin. Yum Yum.
By MYMOM234 on Feb. 3rd, 2012 4:24PM
I need to change that to swag.
How is "colonel derp"? Is he a trotter clone, a clone of some regular guy; or an 8 yr old who saw colonel ford post, then joined?
By 20 dolla rake on Feb. 3rd, 2012 4:42PM
I don't act like that. At all. I actually have respect for Jim. Yes, I'm trotter. I made this account since my old one has a shitty random number password.
By bomber2999 on Feb. 3rd, 2012 4:48PM
hey, everytinme i click a lvl it goes to title screen and wont let me click annything else, help!
By MYMOM234 on Feb. 3rd, 2012 4:57PM
OK trotter. Maybe its a clone of... Someone who dislikes colonel ford.
By ACHIEVERjunior on Feb. 3rd, 2012 5:47PM
Or maybe its just someone with a similar name? colonel ford didn't invent the word colonel ya know
By Luigi Is pro on Feb. 3rd, 2012 5:47PM
Yea, i agree with you MYMOM maybe it is someone who dislikes colonel ford. And @trotter, so how's Udie doing with your original account?
By tyu12 on Feb. 3rd, 2012 5:49PM
The polygons are helping me make a new level
But how do you make the straight?!
By Luigi Is pro on Feb. 3rd, 2012 6:11PM
I was wondering on how to keep the line at a 0, 90, 180, 270 degree angle. But maybe people will tell us. Hey Tyu12, I haven't seen you on here in a while, and yes the polygon tool is really amazing and a unique way of creating levels. I hope they keep making amazing updates like this, and taking out the noob stuff, like zombies etc.
By Hwazhere on Feb. 3rd, 2012 6:52PM
JIM PLZ MAKE MORE CHARACTERS!!!I GET EASILIY BORED WITH THEM!!! i love playing happy wheels, so it is like an every day thing for me... [img]happywheels[/img]
By The Dylanator on Feb. 3rd, 2012 7:17PM
I want new games and mods is that to much to ask and I don't understand those mods.
By Bert on Feb. 3rd, 2012 8:30PM
Excuse me? You think it's that easy to create a game in Flash? Please get off the site, and come back when you learn to appreciate the work already done.
Shut up, you're another typical noob, stop screaming that you want new characters, and use the vehicle tool, that's why it was made.
Isn't anyone happy about what an enormous effort has been put in the game already?
By S P A R T A on Feb. 3rd, 2012 8:46PM
I'ma say hai. Hai!
By Bert on Feb. 3rd, 2012 9:15PM
By MYMOM234 on Feb. 3rd, 2012 9:33PM
Thanks for noticing my newfound powers, bert. (if your the same bert as on the wiki)
Dlyanator, you are a complaining spammer. Go do something more productive than complaining to someone who will never actualy read your post.
It is funny to see noobs believing that they are actualy addressing Jim. Like this: Dear Jim, ive been having a problem. I need more characters, blah, blah....
All you people who think Jim will actauly reply to you after the second page of posts, you are very sad.
By Luigi Is pro on Feb. 3rd, 2012 10:01PM
Indeed, typical noobs need to learn to appreciate jim's efforts or either get off TJF if they can't be satisfied with major updates being put into this game. Now I finally understand the war (MYMOM, Achiever, and DJAY) go through just to defend the main news post from the noobs. Also bert, how's it going?
By Bert on Feb. 3rd, 2012 10:41PM
Yes MYMOM234 it is me from the Wiki! And Luigi Is pro, I'm going fine, but these constant noobs get so annoying here on TJF though, thinking Jim can crap characters out.
I too am at war with keeping the news posts away from noobs, They really think that they're the only people that matter on the site!
If they want new characters, they should just make them with the vehicle tool themselves.
By INTERNET REVOLUTION on Feb. 3rd, 2012 10:44PM
did i ever mention im racist? [url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5EHwJ3CUWwk[/url]
By Bert on Feb. 3rd, 2012 10:59PM
That's the stolen version of that video. ^ Go and watch the original uploaders and stop watching idiots who steal videos.
By INTERNET REVOLUTION on Feb. 4th, 2012 12:07AM
you think your so cool bert, YOU AINT NOTHIN. YOU AINT ANYTHING
By Bert on Feb. 4th, 2012 12:22AM
It's spelt 'you're', you also made heaps of other mistakes.
I never said I was 'cool', I was merely telling you to not support video stealers. So if you want to have a bitch about it go ahead. And I'm sure I am something, I'm a lot more superior than you on this site, you haven't even been here a month.
By Luigi Is pro on Feb. 4th, 2012 12:36AM
Yea, It's a fucking shame when noobs beg, they should just leave the site if they don't appreciate anything of jim's doing neither as jason's efforts. Fucking pityful how noobs bitch and complain and they never do shit to help the site. Like hey, if they donate or keep their mouth shut like their suppose to they'd be fine. But sure I really would not mind fighting off the noobs with you guys count me in. (Smirk)
By Bert on Feb. 4th, 2012 12:46AM
I'm in! Would be great to get rid of noobs or stop them being annoying (begging, being idiots, etc...). I hate seeing heaps of annoying noob posts, and noob levels on the top played!
Yes we were noobs once, but back then we didn't make a thousand forum posts saying 'MOAR CARIKTUR JIIM NOWW!!'.
By 20 dolla rake on Feb. 4th, 2012 01:58AM
There will always be "noobs" on this site. When a user first joins they generally don't understand what is socially acceptable on this site. Eventually they will change, but trying to prevent them from using this site at all is a lost cause.
By D J A Y on Feb. 4th, 2012 03:05AM
god damnit it jim how do i shut you up!!!!!!your voice compared to youtubes volume is like a hundred percent increase and its damn load!!!!!!!!!...im talking about the stupid animation in the to right corner please remove the cupcake and add a knife so i can stab him!!!!!!!!!
By ACHIEVERjunior on Feb. 4th, 2012 04:53AM
I bet Jim's real voice sounds like angels singing
By Bert on Feb. 4th, 2012 05:54AM
It's more than just majestically singing angels. His voice is so godly that it's sound cannot be explained.
By ACHIEVERjunior on Feb. 4th, 2012 06:44AM
If any mortal could here his voice,they would implode before it reached there ears
By HumidCashewNut on Feb. 4th, 2012 06:54AM
Omg, great idea, I know you work hard and all BUT....Horseback Guy!? AWESOME. Some cowboy or whatever on horseback :D Just thought it would be a good character suggestion(: -peace.
By superannoyinghulk on Feb. 4th, 2012 07:17AM
I can't make a new car can some1 help me?
By DiCE on Feb. 4th, 2012 08:08AM
[b]Thanks Jim and [url=Jason Schymick]Jason[/url] for the wonderful update![/b]
By benxrules on Feb. 4th, 2012 08:40AM
Jim is indeed a greybeard. When they speak to you in their natural tongue, you will have a slow and painful death. Only a dragon born can withstand his great voice power, that must be Jason.
By MYMOM234 on Feb. 4th, 2012 09:15AM
Welcome Bert and Luigi. Please prepare weapons.
How do i post pics saved on my coomputer?
By D J A Y on Feb. 4th, 2012 09:48AM
Wait are bert and luigi joining the MADNESS/dark side!
By MYMOM234 on Feb. 4th, 2012 10:08AM
Looks like it.
By ACHIEVERjunior on Feb. 4th, 2012 10:26AM
lol it just started snowing
By Sep3530 on Feb. 4th, 2012 10:32AM
20 dolla rake with language doe you speak
By Bert on Feb. 4th, 2012 10:35AM
I wouldn't call it the 'dark side', I just want to stop noobs begging and being idiots!
By D J A Y on Feb. 4th, 2012 11:03AM
Thats the dark side
By MYMOM234 on Feb. 4th, 2012 12:03PM
Welcome to the dark side. Weve ben expecting you.
By D J A Y on Feb. 4th, 2012 12:20PM
...luigi i am your father!
hey mymom since you live in the US have you heard of a south african comedian called trevor noah?he went there apparently for last comic standing
By UBERHEXANOVA66 on Feb. 4th, 2012 12:23PM
HOW THE HECK DID Blackcross MAKE A PICTURE?IF YOU DONT BELIVE ME THEN PLAY THIS
By Luigi Is pro on Feb. 4th, 2012 12:29PM
Um ok. I'll be in xat working on my prince of persia level.